About Me

My photo
Been knitting on and off for about 50 years, sporadically trying to crochet, just bought a lucet. More details about my knitting, crochet and tunisian crochet can be seen at https://www.ravelry.com/people/Rosebark for which you need to be a member, but this is free.

Friday 18 January 2013

Hat for me!

I looked at the Charleston yarn I acquired from the old lady's stash previously mentioned and had a feeling that, if I knitted the Tam pattern with it, it might actually turn out large enough to fit me. I did the increases and got started on the decreases, then realised I didn't have enough yarn to finish it. Fortunately a nice person on Ravelry happened to have some and very kindly sent it to me free of charge. By the time I got the further yarn, I thought I still knew what I was doing but realised after a few decreases that I should have been doing them every other row, not every third row. D'oh! Then I looked at it and realised it made a slightly more domed shape, which would actually fit my big head better, and decided to continue as it was, rather than undoing a dozen or so rows. I also decided this is not the sort of yarn that suits a pompon.

I tried to take some photos of it actually on my head to show that it does fit rather well, but they were awful, so I modelled it on a plastic pudding basin instead.

Small after comment: Having made it, thanked the nice Ravelry lady and worn the hat a few times, I looked in my stash boxes for something else and guess what I found. Blush. Some more of this yarn. Really don't know how that came about, as I was sure that I there had only ever been a whole skein and a partial skein in the old lady's stuff, and that is what I started this hat with. But there in the box was another whole skein and another partial. Oh well, now I can make a scarf to go with it if I want! But how embarrassing when I've begged some more!

No comments:

Post a Comment