About Me

My photo
Been knitting on and off for about 50 years, sporadically trying to crochet, just bought a lucet. More details about my knitting, crochet and tunisian crochet can be seen at https://www.ravelry.com/people/Rosebark for which you need to be a member, but this is free.

Sunday, 22 April 2012

Sock Singular has a Partner - Hooray!

 Here, at last, is the partner to sock singular, which I posted all on its own a while ago.  It has only taken me just over a year to complete this pair of socks.  The top finally got sewn down at knitting group last Thursday and I gave them both to Susan immediately with the proviso that she send me photo(s) so I could post here and on Ravelry (so these are her photos of my knitting).  As previously mentioned, this second one is a couple of rows shorter in the foot, so this pair has a right and left sock.

And below, here they both are on the new owner's feet, looking nice and comfy!

Franney asked what yarn it was and when I told her it was an acrylic/cotton mix, she was a little surprised and said it felt like it had silk in it.  It does indeed feel rather nice, and it was only cheap on ebay. The first pair of socks I made from this cone (see earlier post) have been machine washed and have come to no harm.  There is still quite a bit left, probably enough for a another two pair of socks - so still no need to buy any yarn yet.

Meanwhile, the hat still awaits the attachment of its peak, but I have made progress with the baby cardi and the cushion cover.

Wednesday, 18 April 2012

Tipsy Turkey

Somewhat the wrong time of year for Christmas turkey, but I promised I would put him on here, so here he is:

This was the first Alan Dart pattern I did.  As I think I said about Rudolf, the instructions are very clear.  It says to sew up in mattress stitch, which I hadn't done before. Again, very clearly described, but I found some bits a bit difficult/awkward and close inspection will reveal that this let down the overall effect a little bit, plus his tooter (or whatever you call it) looks more like a pipe or strange cigarette.  Still, I'm pleased with the result on the whole.  I did have to buy one ball of yarn (the sort of rusty colour in his tail), but the rest was in my stash, so he was almost a stashbuster - and he too is mainly stuffed with innards of old pillow. His tail is stiffened/stuffed with some stiffish sponge which used to be on a baby car seat.  The seat split when we had an accident (no-one hurt fortunately) a long time ago, but I kept the sponge liner in the 'come in handy' drawer. (BTW this is a one-off - fun to do once, but don't feel the need to do another one and would not be particularly willing to do one as a commission).

Meanwhile, updates on WIPS: (1) SSS syndrome has been conquered - second sock to go with "Sock Singular" is now knitted and just needs the top turned over and sewn in place. (2) Another hat is nearly finished - just needs its peak sewn on, (looks like I need to get my sewing head on) (3) third baby cardi like the last two will be progressed tomorrow at knitting group.  Meanwhile have also started a cushion cover, being done diagonally in garter stitch like the last two baby blankets, but it will be 18" square, not rectangular.